Skip to Content

Veterans Admission Services

Color Guard Soldier

Texas State University is proud to have been designated a Top Military-Friendly University by Military Advanced Education's 2015 Guide to Military-Friendly Colleges & Universities, ranked 16th in the nation in the Military Times Best for Vets: Colleges 2015, and consistently ranked in the top 15% of military-friendly colleges by G.I. Jobs magazine since 2009.


    MAE Top Colleges      Best for Vets      GI Jobs

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions welcomes inquiries from interested military veterans. Veterans who have been out of high school for more than one semester should consider themselves transfer applicants and abide by the application procedures and admission criteria for transfer applicants. If you are in need of additional guidance regarding the admission process, contact J. Carlos Laird at

Information on veterans' benefits and services, including the GI Bill, Hazlewood and the certification process, is available at Veteran Affairs.

The Admission Process

Veterans who have been out of high school for three years or more should consider themselves prospective transfer students subject to the application procedures and admission criteria for transfer applicants. If you have been out of high school for more than three years but did not take an ACT or SAT while in school, it is unnecessary to do so now.

Veterans who have been out of high school for less than three years, and have not completed any transferable college course work since graduating, will be subject to the freshman admission standards and are required to follow the freshman application process.

  • Prospective students applying with more than 30 hours of transferable college credit are not required to submit test scores or an admissions essay, but are required to submit their high school transcript.*
  • Prospective students applying with fewer than 30 hours are urged to speak with an admission counselor to determine what, if any, high school documents are needed. This is especially important for students who have graduated high school within the last three years.  

*All prospective students, including veterans, are required to submit an official high school transcript (or GED certificate), regardless of the number of college hours earned or high school graduation date.

Joint Services Transcript (optional)

While not required, you may submit the JST for an official evaluation by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. It is recommended that you do so after being admitted to Texas State. After the Office of Undergraduate Admissions has performed its official evaluation, it will forward their recommendations to the Academic Advising Center of the college to which you have been accepted. The Advising Centers determine whether and how much JST course work can be applied to a Texas State degree.

Submitting the CCAF (required)

Unlike the JST, the CCAF transcript is required, and must be submitted for admission purposes. Upon receipt of the transcript, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions will perform an official evaluation of the course work. After being accepted to the university, you should contact your Advising Center will determine whether and how much course work can be applied to a Texas State degree.


Although no longer a component of the General Education Core Curriculum, two hours of physical education credit will be awarded by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions upon receipt of a DD-214, as long as the following can be verified:  1) two years of active duty, or 2) honorable discharge after completing a minimum of two years of service or discharge because of a disability.

Additional information is available on the Military Transcripts page.

Submit all official transcripts and forms to:

Office of Undergraduate Admissions
429 N. Guadalupe Street
San Marcos, TX 78666

Expand or Collapse all.

Veterans and Testing

Test scores are not required for application purposes if a student’s date of high school graduation is three years or more prior to the semester in which they plan to enroll. However, applicants can submit scores if they wish to do so. Scores must be submitted if they are from within the three year period prior to enrollment and/or if the applicant has not completed at least 30 transferable hours at the time of application.

Federal Benefits

Students wishing to utilize federal veteran benefits must be enrolled in courses for a specific degree-seeking program. A list of undergraduate degree programs can be found here.

Readmission for Returning Veterans

Former Texas State students who are members of the U.S. Armed Forces or National Guard who withdrew from Texas State as a result of a call to active duty are eligible to re-enroll without paying an application fee. The student must return within a year of being released from active duty.

To re-enroll please submit the Returning Military Information form along with a copy of the DD-214 with release information or a letter from the commander with release information.

Get Adobe Reader