Skip to Content
Texas State University

Veterans Admission

Texas State University is proud to have been ranked the #1 Military Friendly®: Top 10 School among Tier 2 Research Institutions for 2018, designated a Top Military-Friendly University by Military Advanced Education (MAE) in its 2018 Guide to Military-Friendly Colleges & Universities and ranked 35th in the nation in the Military Times Best for Vets: Colleges 2018.


Military award badges

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions welcomes inquiries from interested military veterans. If you are in need of additional guidance regarding the admission process, contact Jaclyn Tirres for assistance.

Expand or Collapse all.
  • Veterans who are high school (or GED) graduates, and have not attempted any college course work since graduating, are considered prospective freshmen applicants. You should follow the application procedures and admission criteria for freshman applicants. If you took an ACT or SAT while in high school, your scores are valid for three years. If your scores are less than three years old, you are urged to submit them.

    If you did not take an ACT or SAT while in high school, you are not required to do so now. Prospective freshmen who did not test while in high school will have their application reviewed through our holistic review process. This review will consider your high school curriculum, the competitive level of courses taken and grades earned, leadership and level of engagement as a student.

    If you have not attended college and are uncertain about the quality of your high school academic record, we suggest attending another college first and then applying as a transfer student. This provides you the opportunity to create an academic profile (i.e., college courses and a GPA).

  • Veterans with transferable credit hours, taken after high school, are subject to transfer admission criteria and application procedures. All transfer applicants are required to submit both their college and high school transcripts (or GED certificate).

    After an initial review, some applicants may be asked to submit additional information. Note: Enrollment in dual credit courses while in high school does not make you a transfer student.

  • Test scores are not required for application purposes if a student’s date of high school graduation is three years or more prior to the semester in which they plan to enroll. Scores must be submitted if they are from within the three year period prior to enrollment and the applicant has not completed at least 30 transferable hours at the time of application.

  • Former Texas State students who are members of the U.S. Armed Forces or National Guard who withdrew from Texas State as a result of a call to active duty are eligible to re-enroll without paying an application fee. The student must return within a year of being released from active duty.

    To re-enroll please submit the Returning Military Information form along with a copy of the DD-214 with release information or a letter from the commander with release information.

Military Credit

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions evaluates all post-secondary course work, including that which was earned in the military. However, not all military credit is used in making an admission decision. Learn more about how your credits will transfer and what is considered for admission.

  • Unlike the JST, the CCAF transcript is required and must be submitted for admission purposes.

    Upon receipt of the transcript, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions will perform an official evaluation of the course work. Credit for 4 hours of PFW (Physical Fitness Wellness) will be listed at the top of the transcript. These hours may be used toward admission but count as credit (CR) only and do not affect GPA. All other courses will be evaluated as VOCED (Vocational Educational) credit and are not used for admission purposes.

    Upon being accepted to Texas State, you should consult with your Advising Center to determine whether and how much course work can be applied to your Texas State degree.

  • Joints Services Transcripts are not used for admission purposes.

    While not required, you may submit the JST for an official evaluation by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. It is recommended that you do so after being admitted to Texas State.

    After the Office of Undergraduate Admissions has performed an official evaluation, our recommendations are forwarded to the Advising Center of the college to which you have been accepted. The Advising Centers determine whether and how much JST course work can be applied to a Texas State degree. Course approvals are then returned to Undergraduate Admissions where the courses are added to your Texas State transcript

  • Although no longer a component of the General Education Core Curriculum, physical education credit will be awarded by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions upon receipt of a DD-214, as long as the following can be verified:  1) two years of active duty, or 2) honorable discharge after completing a minimum of two years of service or discharge because of a disability.

    Students enrolled at Texas State Fall 2009 or after with 2 years of active duty will receive 2 hours of PFW (Physical Fitness Wellness) credits and 12 hours military elective credit (MIL). The 12 hours may be used toward free electives, as approved by an academic advisor and do not count toward excessive hours.

    Students enrolled at Texas State prior to Fall 2009 with 1 full year of active duty service will receive 4 hours of PFW (Physical Fitness Wellness) credits. 

    Hours are awarded as credit (CR) only and apply to transfer and cumulative hours, but do not affect GPA.

It is the student's responsibility to obtain and submit the proper forms to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions by the appropriate priority date.

In accordance with Education Code Section 51.3042, an eligible former member of the armed forces admitted as an undergraduate student or readmitted as an undergraduate student will be given course credit for all physical education courses Texas State requires for an undergraduate and for additional semester credit hours, not to exceed 12, to satisfy any elective course requirements for the student’s degree program for courses outside the student’s major or minor.

Transcript Submissions

Submit all official transcripts and forms to:
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Richard A. Castro Undergraduate Admissions Center
429 N. Guadalupe St.
San Marcos, TX 78666


Information on veterans' benefits and services—including the GI Bill, Hazlewood and the certification process—is available at Veterans Affairs. On-campus and off-campus academic, career and wellness resources are available to Bobcat student-vets, including

Have a Question?

Check out Frequently Asked Questions or contact us for help.